Saturday, January 19, 2019

delivering for the third time...

... when the man had another appointment for treatment at the cancer center. It is likely the last time I will see him, even though he has to go back for several days next week. While we were driving into town to get him to his early morning treatment, I remarked that there were requests for more rides after the weekend. He responded that he would have to be back four days next week, with appointments through next Thursday. I said the request was confusing, as the schedule indicated he only needed someone to help him get back home, and there was some uncertainty in my mind. He said 'you will have to talk to sis'.

I did. Sis said the ride-arrangers got it all wrong, and yes, he did need transport for all four days next week. I was trying to work out something with the people who coordinate, sending out ride requests by email to all the people who do/will/can provide transport .My efforts failed, as I cannot do it Monday or Tuesday. So I am apparently done with driving Sam. He was pleasant enough, but not nearly as talkative as Sis said he would be. Although he did remark when I was in the wrong lane, or my turn signal was on too long.

The interesting thing in all this, my compulsive volunteerism: a surprising willingness to go out of my way to provide assistance for total strangers. You remember how your mom was constantly warning of dangers? As soon as  you were old enough to pay attention: Never accept rides from strangers. Never get in the car with someone you do not know. And of course, that all time favorite: 'Do not take candy from strangers!' (With October 31 being the exception.) We were all frequently cautioned about those evil people who would ask if you would help them find the lost puppy, or what ever they had 'misplaced' to lure the innocents, when they would soon part with their innocence.

Daughters, now adults, still recall the 'secret password' we decided upon. And will readily describe how they were instructed to expect to hear that confidential information before deciding to be transported in a vehicle with a stranger. Caution is always in order when there are creepers creeping around eyeing the naive and guileless.

I realized when I went to a gathering of volunteer drivers in early December that I seem to have no hesitation about driving/riding with total strangers. Thereby entertaining angels unaware? As we sat and talked, in the comfortable home of one of the coordinators, I mentioned how, as children, we had all been trained by parents to exercise extreme caution. How surprised I was at the ease with which that same caution had been thrown to the wind once I decided to be part of the Road to Recovery program. People in need, who were struggling with things far more vital than filling a gas tank or knowing the tires were good. Focusing their concern on life itself, surviving the poisonous effects of the treatment, possibly worse than the deadly spreading cancers.

Amazing and sort of confounding to realize I have absolutely no hesitation to drive into sketchy neighborhoods, or places I have never been, willingly taking a request that requires me to drive a ninety-five mile round trip. Hauling a complete stranger to a fifteen minute appointment, then returning him home again. I hardly had time to find my stopping place in my library book before he was out and ready to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment