Wednesday, January 16, 2019

delivering a man...

... to his treatment at the local cancer center today. He lives south of Ft. Benning in a small town below the post, and needs a ride into town for an appointment this morning at 8:15. So I should be driving, heading out to pick him up instead of sitting here trying to get caught up on the blog. People who know what has been going on in my life in recent weeks will likely find this little endeavor- driving all over- strange. There is virtue in busy-ness.

I've been doing the Road to Recovery driving for a couple of years, going to pick up people who need transportation to their appointments, getting them to the needed treatment at the John B. Amos Cancer Center, locally referred to as JBACC, proununced 'Jback'. The man I will drvie for today lives down in Cussetta, and has to be at his appointment at 8:15. It is at least a forty-five minute drive to get to him, and at least that long to drive back into town to get to the appointment, near the medical center.

When I called the contact person to get info., I spoke to his sister, who said he will talk your ears off. I am guessing he does not drive, even though she reported he is 71 years old. Has some mental issues, and though he lives alone, I surmise he likely was never taught to drive well enough to get a permit. The sister was very appreciative of the R to R drivers jumping in to help with transportation, as she said her vehicle is seventeen years old and she worries every time she gets in and turns the key in the ignition: will it or will it not?

I am going to drive him today, tomorrow and Friday. Three days x two trips per day = 6. By the time we make the three trips in to town for his appointments, and the three return trips to get him back home again, I may be in need of replacement ears?

No comments:

Post a Comment