Wednesday, January 2, 2019

even though...

... my funds are lighter by $185, the problem with my car is not resolved. It sat unused in the carport for several days without going anywhere. I was either driving that big honking pick-up truck, or riding with someone else, leaving my car to rest at home. It was Monday the 31st before I had reason to take myself someplace, and drive the Toyota that had been in the shop last week. With several errands to run, I organized myself planning my route, that would include a stop at the gas station in front of the nearby wally world.

This Murphy Gas is where the sad incident occurred that left me with a gunked up gas tank, fearful of driving any place besides home, where it sat for days before I decided to turn the mess over to someone else. Where upon I called a friend, told my embarrassing, distressing tale and said: 'can I just give you this problem to resolve?' My plate is too full and I do not want to deal with it. He immediately agreed, and set about making arrangements. A tow truck, and a shop on the south side of town that specializes in radiators, fuel line mishaps, with a willingness to take on issues related to owner stupidity on the side. It was in the shop two days before I got it back.

And it sat in the carport again, for several days while I was chauffeuring The Man Who Lives Here to appointments. On Monday, I decided to go back to wally world and fill it up, along with several other activities that needed my attention.  Started to pump and soon found a huge puddle of fuel under my car, and deadly gas fumes in the air. Oh, s#!t. After telling the clerk in the kiosk about the mess on the apron, I drove home and parked it again. But not in the carport: out in the yard, where it would not burn the house down if it decided to spontaneously combust. Where it has been since Monday afternoon.

I called the friend who was so willing to jump in and help, to ask him if the shop might be open on New Years' Eve. No such luck.  It remained parked out in the trees, dripping or not, over New Year's Day, waiting for the shop to reopen. I've kinda kept an eye on it, out there, sitting under the trees a bit  fearful it might burst into flames. With great reluctance I drove to work, about four miles away. Smelling the very distinct, unique odor of gas fumes the whole way - wondering how it could be such an overwhelming odor after sitting in the fresh air and rain for two days.

We made a plan to take it back to the shop as soon as possible, when the guys would be back in the shop, open for business today. Where it sits now, hopefully having the problem really resolved. The Man Who Lives Here just suggested it might smell so strong,like a busted fuel line, because the gas leaked into the back seat, soaking carpet in the flooring. Oh, great. Just great!

No comments:

Post a Comment