Thursday, January 17, 2019

delivering a man, again...

... for the second day to his cancer treatment. I was a little better organized, able to get out of the house and on  my way in a timely manner - so much so, my arrival in the small town of Cussetta was about fifteen minutes before expected. I took the time to roam around and drive up and down the streets of this small burg that is the county seat of Chattahoochee County, just south of Ft. Benning.

The whole county appears to be struggling to survive. There does not seem to be much of anything in the way of industry or sizable employment firms to support the economy. Much of the housing on those side streets appears to be rundown mobile homes or other forms of pre-fab housing. I am often thankful that I do not live in a trailer, or a community of people who are reduced to the lifestyle of those who inhabit mobile home parks. I know there are places where large populations live in comfort in such pre-fab homes, like all those retirees who were desperate to get away from ice and snow, now enjoying perpetual summer in Florida, or southern states along the Atlantic and Gulf coast. I am so un-nerved by the potential damage of hurricanes along the coast, I am thankful to not own real estate there.

But most of the individual trailers, or communities I see with dozens of them in row upon row, are so sad, neglected, and depressing. I am constantly reminded of the necessity to be grateful for a sturdy roof over my head and comfortable home. As I travel south Georgia, leaving home in the dark to make a round trip in one exhausting day, there are so many of theses houses out in the landscape. People who would, I assume, never be able to afford the space they are living in, if it were not for the
'box business'.

While they are new, beautiful homes, fresh off the lot, I know those people must be delighted with their purchases. But over time, due to the quality of building materials, and possibly the benign neglect of the homeowners, they give the appearance of slowly sinking into the landscape, gradually growing a junkyard of decrepit vehicles, neglected toys, surplus building materials, weedy grasses, kudzu that covers the southern hills like gravy on biscuits. Making us all look like rednecks...

No comments:

Post a Comment