Thursday, January 24, 2019

infinity mirrors by Yayoi Kusama



Drove up to Atlanta last Saturday to go to the exhibit at the High Museum. I was invited by a family member who bought tickets months ago, so long in fact, that I did not know what we were going for. It had been weeks ago that the date was marked on  my calendar, and I failed to make a note as to what we would see. So anything at all would have been a surprise for me!

It was a number of 'installations' by an artist who was born in Japan, Yayoi Kusama, moved to the US for most of her life, and then returned to the country of her birth, where she now resides. It was interesting, but not really my definition of art. If you had to define, it would probably be more towards the 'craft' end of the creative scale, but I suspect much of the actual construction was done by paid workers. It is possible all the work we saw was done by the artist, but my thought is that as one becomes more successful with greater publicity and therefore greater income as art work is purchased by patrons, the mundane aspects would be done by others. I cannot say for sure.

It is likely a traveling show, and will be disassembled and shipped to other museums as part of a tour. I will hope the exhibit is well attended and successful where ever it might be viewed. But I suspect many of the ticket holders will say: 'I could do this'. It was interesting, and I enjoyed the day - more for the people I was with than the art viewed. It was a cold rainy day, so I can say I was pleased to be inside and out of the weather, with people I love, amused by the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment