Wednesday, January 2, 2019

misplaced...


...spring. The photos of the daffodil blooming in my front yard and the pink hyacinth barely poking it's head up out of the leaf mulch were both taken on December 31, 2018. Amazing that those things you expect to see in March are here and putting forth color. There are most certainly hundreds and hundreds of spring bulbs planted out in front of the house. Most of which were rescued from certain death when they would have otherwise been tossed in the dumpster at work after blooms had faded.

My dad was very convincing when he told me years ago that once a spring bulb had been 'forced' to bloom at a time that was not normal/natural for flowering, they would never perform well again. Not disagreeing with him, but trying to give those hardy, persistent, determined bulbs every possible opportunity to put on a show.  I have brought home dozens of pots over the years and dug holes to put them in the ground, randomly scattered out under the hardwood trees all around the house. Narcissus, multiple colors of tulips, different sizes and shapes of daffodils, hyacinths in a variety of colors.

Delighted to see what ever they want to produce, every single bloom making me smile as I turn off the street onto my driveway. Admiring daily new blooms as they pop up, when I drive down the hill, looking out at glorious smiling spring colors surprising me as they peep out of the drab brown winter accumulation of leaves. I am sure all this rain in recent days and weeks has had a effect, as well as unseasonable warm temperatures - which is why that daffodil I saw two days ago, now has more buds opened and there are four of them blooming in that little clump.

No comments:

Post a Comment