Saturday, June 30, 2012

traveling, visiting the pen-pal...

On Thursday, I went to visit a friend up in SC. He is 89 years old. Served with my dad in the Army. They met when they were in training before being shipped to France during the Big War. And spent months together in the mud and cold of Europe as the war was winding down.

I discovered him when he called my parents house, looking for my dad, about ten years ago. Before the WWII Memorial on the Mall in DC was finished, he was attempting to locate the Captain to ask if he would accompany a group of local SC vets to the dedication ceremony. My mom answered the phone, and I only heard her side of the conversation, but thought it was something I should interrupt. So I started a conversation with him that has been on-going for many years. His wife died back in the fall, and he lives alone in little house that was part of a mill village in Greenville.

I had been going to visit several times a year, since we first met on the telephone. As he gets older, I try to go often, lately it has been once a month - having learned the lesson that you need to go when you can, before it's too late.  I feel more and more like he is a connection o my dad, to say nothing of a sweet amusing friend. I suggested we go across town to the cemetery to visit his wife, and then read an article in the local paper about the portable, 1/10th size, 'moving' Vietnam Memorial being on display at the civic center. So after we went to visit Ms. Dot in the hot afternoon sun, we went to see The Wall. He knew many of the vets there, working as volunteers greeting visitors, helping people find names. He has been much involved in the local American Legion organization for many years: and was recently honored as their Volunteer of the Year. Loves to socialize with fellow vets, attend meetings, conventions, meet new people - one of those folks you cannot help but envy/admire who seems to never meet a stranger.

That was a long day, driving to Decatur, to Greenville, and back to Decatur. But I am sure I will be going again as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment