Wednesday, July 18, 2012

South of the Border (not the one on NC/SC state line)

It's a long story, but I need to get started before it gets 'lost in the sands of time'.

I was in Mexico all last week, as things evolved, mostly just along for the ride.

I drove down to Ocala on Friday the 6th, spent the night with friends and got up Sat. to go with a group of nine on the church van to Tampa, then on to Cancun. If we had really been going to Cancun, The Resort, it would have been a totally different experience, and I have actually 'been there, done that' (and if someone is interested in footing the bill, I could easily enjoy going back again.) The flight was less than two hours, but due to traveling west, in another time zone, so appetites and sleeping habits were confused for several days - taking just long enough to acclimate before we were headed back to the US as scrambled brains/confusion began to level off.

We had reservations for a week in a little local hotel that apparently caters to an international clientel l - many of the books on a bookshelf, available for loan, were printed in German. The group I was traveling with had several members who had been on this venture previously, but most were as uncertain about expectations and as lost in a foreign environment as I was. Looking back, I am pretty sure one of the best things of my experience was the remarkable luck that occurred when rooming assignments were made. I am thankful for the person who I ended up 'bunking' with. Even though the accommodations were clean, tidy, pretty much to US standards (though you have to diligently remember to not rinse your toothbrush under the running water of the tap in the bathroom), it would not have been nearly as pleasant if I had not had the good fortune to be in the same room as my new BFF: Fran.

Even so, I got off to a really bad start when we arrived in Cancun, went through the airport to retrieve our luggage and I could not locate my bag.... more later....

No comments:

Post a Comment