Wednesday, June 13, 2012

getting ready -ier

The poking part of getting ready to go to Mexico is over. I went yesterday morning for my fourth trip to the Pharmacy to get the final poke with a needle that completes the immunizations for traveling into medium-level risky environments. I say 'medium' because the pharmacist who probably thoroughly enjoyed making me wince, get light-headed and pay nearly $800 for the pleasure of the needle-stick told me of someone who came in recently and got seventeen different vaccines. No, thanks.The guy who looked like a pincushion was going to the mid-east as a contractor for the DOD and was required to get protected from Everything. I am sure the pay is adequate compensation, but they would be picking me up off the floor after all that...

I'm covered for tetnus, hepatitis A and B, and typhoid. There was some debate about malaria, but I will just have to trust my immune system, and apply bug stuff every day.

I have also started collecting T-shirts. If all three of my best readers feel inspired to clean out their collection of shirts, and would like to send some for me to leave with the vacation Bible School attendees in Mexico, I plan to fill a duffle bag with extras to take along and not bring back. You would have to admit the idea of 'free clothes' is very attractive, and would lure in a ready-made crowd for teaching at Bible School. I am trying to think of some clever, portable, simple craft-type item I can take that will amuse kids. Leaning towards a bag of Publix balloons, if I can wangle them from the store manager, and some pipe cleaners. What kid doesn't love a balloon? And what good cheap entertainment is a couple of pipe-cleaners?

No comments:

Post a Comment