Tuesday, June 5, 2012

traveling: and glad gas prices have gone down!

I've been traveling so much, I don't know how to behave at home.

Last week: I drove to Savannah on Wednesday. Came back on Thursday. And went to TN on Friday.

There is a family friend from south GA who has moved to the Savannah area, due to aging, and health issues: She got backed into a corner with physical problems, and her family moved her a couple of years ago, very much against her preference. As usually happens with getting older, all those problems have snowballed. She has been in hospital, rehab., and therapy programs trying to get/regain mobility due to falls and damage resulting from broken hips. She was back in her apartment in assisted living for less than a week, when she fell and broke the second hip, and starting over - but with much less energy and motivation to get back on her feet.

I wanted to go see her last year, but due to the recurring problems, the trip had been postponed since the fall. I finally worked out a plan with her son to go last week, and drove over to see her in the nursing facility where she was moved from hospital. She is not a happy camper, and struggles with getting around. It is unlikely that she will ever regain enough mobility to return the the retirement center where she was ensconced.
But I am glad I went and had the afternoon to spend with her.

Then I went to see a friend who has moved to the area from Virginia. We were Presbyterians together years ago, when her husband was stationed at Ft. Benning. Had a good visit and was amazed to see all the very impressive quilts she has created over the years. Probably not inspired to do anything that creative on my own - but really amazed at some of the things she has done.

I realized years ago how easy it is to get interested and invested with time and resources in some new endeavor, then have the novelty wear off, or just get distracted.  And have a semi-finished project linger around for years without the enthusiasm to complete it. I usually have the self-control to not even venture down that path... but will admit that I have a box of odds and ends of fabric that I have held on to for the better part of twenty years. Me: thinking I would find a quilt pattern and piece them together to make a patchwork top. Fortunately, or unfortunately, as the case may be, my little odds and ends are tucked away on a shelf where I rarely notice or think of the project awaiting my attention. But now that I have seen what can be done - possibly inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment