Wednesday, June 20, 2012

enhancing my bank account...

I might be getting too old to be gainfully employed. It's hard on a body to have to do it on a regular basis - and the regular part has been occurring for the past three days. Or it might be that I am 'out of practice'?

For a couple of months, it seems like most of the work I have been scheduled for has been  on Sunday afternoons. I told the department manager that four or five hours of work was hardly worth taking my pajamas off for, and was wondering if it would be o.k. for me to come in my p.j.'s? It seems like he was not particularly amused... I asked what sort of schedule he wanted me to work when I knew my co-worker would be away for the past three days, and wondered out loud if he was planning to give me eight hours for the whole week, and divide it by three. He laughed, but not the kind of laughter that indicates he really thought it was much funny.

I have discovered I don't have much tolerance for being on my feets all day long. It's probably not as exhausting when in constant motion, as opposed to standing in one place for an extended period time: that  would probably come under the heading of punishment - like making kids stand in the corner, with their noses firmly planted on a dot on the wall.

If it were not for the friendships with cohorts, and that wee little supplemental insurance policy, I'm not sure I would continue the employment. I recently discovered that it's not really such a great place to work anymore. The corporate attitude has changed incrementally over recent years.. I am sure that from an administrative standpoint the changes to the company are motivated by a need to better control waste, become more efficient, become better stewards: basically improve the bottom line. But some of the petty-ness that is being passed along to employees borders on the ridiculous. If you want to know more, you have to ask.... but I will say:  it is going to be more difficult for associates to smile and create the atmosphere that invites hundreds and hundreds of customers to want to come back and shop day after day.

No comments:

Post a Comment