Tuesday, June 5, 2012

planting for the pollinators...

I am sad to say that I feel really guilty about buying the bloomers I  planted today. I went out late this afternoon and put in the bright red penta I brought back from FL a couple of weeks ago, and some colorful nicotinia the hummingbirds have already discovered that I just bought today.  I know it is going to be a challenge to keep them watered so they will survive the summer: we are dry, dry, dry here. Almost no rain from all that drenching weather that came in from recent tropical storm in the Atlantic.But that is not the reason I am so distressed about the beautifully blooming flowers that I am hopeful will be gloriously attractive to butterflies, hummingbirds, bees and other insects in the coming months.

I just told myself that it is so disturbing that there are children all over the world going hungry and I am spending money on things that we can't eat. Those sad little faces in the magazine ads with have the huge eyes and distended bellies make me wonder 'what was I thinking' when I implusively spend money on things that will do nothing more than bloom all summer and provide nectar for the insect worlds needs, when I could be putting the funds to use to make a difference in some hungry childs' life. Maybe I should be sending seeds, and supporting the people who go to third world countries and dig wells for watering the crops?

No comments:

Post a Comment