Saturday, June 30, 2012

probably shot myself in the foot with this...

While making plans to go to Mexico: Next Week! I was pondering what to do about the bit'o'cash I will need to take. I think most everything is covered, except a few meals. And there probably will not be much opportunity to do any shopping of the 'tourist' nature. Which suits me perfectly, as I truly do not want any more 'stuff' in my life. But I know there will be a need for some funds for eating and occasional incidentals: I am usually the one who gets away from home and finds I have nothing to apply to my toothbrush at bedtime. 

Which reminds me: don't brush with tap water. Don't accidently open your mouth in the shower. Take tape to put over mouth when you might get wet to keep from ingesting microbes that cause great, long-lasting distress. yikes. o-my-gosh.

So I was pondering what to do for spending money: thinking about how you  need to have some 'resources' when you go off to Summer Camp out in the woods: When it's your turn to go to the little shop/store/canteen,  usually stocked with plastic junk from the Oriental Trading Post catalog. Treasured items, imported by the boatload from factories in China: feathered 'indian' headresses, arrowheads extruded from a mold, bracelets from Taiwan to be lost in the pool, coin purses that fall apart before you get back home, etc.

And wondering about the best way to transport funds. I know the 'card people charge a fee for useage out of the country. Don't know what the exchange rate is like south of the border. Always fearful of taking a pocketful of cash. 

So I guess I will go to the bank and buy some traveler's checks.

I got irritated with several months ago, when I got a letter from my banker: Wells Fargo. Formerly known as Wachovia, formerly known as several other financial institutions in the same location. When they decided they would start charging a monthly fee for accounts I balked. Closed the account: right across the street from the Publix where I have worked for nearly 15 years, in the same building - but with four different names- where I have been banking for nearly 30 years. The bank would get absorbed/sold to another outfit, and change names, issue me new checks, but mostly with the same faces/tellers as it changed hands. 

All the financial institutions dug themselves into a deep hole, and expect the customers/taxpayers to dig them out - so have begun to change exorbitant fees for all their services. But not  me: I decided to shoot myself in the foot and close the account at the bank that is so accessible/convenient. And  only do business with the  one that (doesn't charge a fee for checking): is as far away from my house as they could be and still be in Columbus....

Which means I will make a trip across town, about 12 miles away, every time there is a need to do banking business. But I won't be paying Wells Fargo to have an account with them at a nearly-by, conveniently located branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment