Wednesday, June 20, 2012

the butterflies will surely be happy...

Not a big deal to anyone else but me: or maybe someone who loves to watch green things grow...

I went off down the street about a month ago and dug up a plant that is actually called Butterfly Weed, and is, I think, the of the Monarch's favorite things to eat when they bloom. But since they are so desirable and tasty, they rarely get a chance to go to seed and make babies. I had been observing, watching these plants for several years, wishing I could get it to grow at my house. Even went down in the ditch and marked them with brightly colored tape to find in the winter and transplant when they had no leaves to be able to find/recognize. And just never did dig them up, as I know they do not like to be moved.

But I finally did go with my shovel (wish I'd had someone along to be embarrassed by my behavior!) and dug up one, on a rainy afternoon when I knew it would easily dig, and readily transplant. I tried to keep it watered, but was fearful I had not gotten up enough dirt in the bucket to have success when it was relocated. It's been so dry, it has taken a lot of hose dragging to keep things alive, especially that stuff that has been moved in recent months. I've been as faithful with the hose dragging as one who keeps on the go can be - and was sad to watch the much desired Butterfly Weed steadily turn yellow, brown, loose leaves. Not meaning to be malicious, but thinking that I should not have moved it, it was not happy being transplanted, and sorta ashamed of wanting to have it growing at my house, when it was obviously so happy growing in the ditch out there with all the wildness.

So I kept watering and hoping: it's got green shoots coming up from the dead stems!! I am so happy! And surprised that in spite of my greediness, it has survived, and seems to be thriving, putting on new growth and adapting to the relocation remarkably well.  M'm so pleased.


No comments:

Post a Comment