Tuesday, June 12, 2012

things we take for granted...

I have a little blank book, about the size of an index card, that I have been making notes in, off-and-on for months, probably a couple of years. It has things that I suddenly, at some time in the course of a day, discover myself thankful for. Mostly things that we just accept, not considering that we have done nothing to warrant many of the average, every-day, run-of-the-mill blessings. There will be days when I am consistently making notes, recording little non-events that suddenly pop into my mind and I realize I need to be more conscious about counting them as Big Things, Blessings that are worthy of notice and note.

Then I will set the little book aside, or loose it on my desk, or have it slip down in the crack in my car and not make notes for several days before I realize something has occurred that is notable. Which will make me scrabble around, dig under papers, root through stacks of flotsam and jetsam, stand on my head and paw around under the car seats: until I find my little book so I can make a note. Needing to ink in a visible reminder of something generally non-descript that I will realize is such a huge reason to be thankful.

Mostly sunshine, blue skies, puffy white clouds - or sometimes a day of much needed rain.

Or friends who are such neat people that I am continually amazed they fell into my life.

Or family members who mean so much, and I find myself overwhelmed that they are so willing to devote a day, spend time with me.

Or Sunday mornings sitting in 'my place' (as one with a long history of backsliding) on the back row at CCC, listening to the praise songs, knowing that the voices raised in worship bring on the all encompassing presence of the Holy Spirit.

Or having someone I care about call to say: 'I need a little help', and having the freedom to be able to respond with 'of course, what can I do?' and 'when do I need to be there?'

And especially people who have served in the military, protecting and defending for well over two hundred years, willing to step up and defend the Constitution. Insuring we continue to enjoy  all those freedoms it guarantees, with hardly a thought of what they risk and sacrifice. Allowing me to keep a secret little book of blessings without fear that someone might make nefarious use of my musings. Just generally providing me with the comfort of what is really a privileged way of life: that we all rarely,if ever, think to say Thank You for. Yea! for the Republic. Stars and Stripes Forever. Sappy old flag waving fool: that's me.

Well, I guess the little secret book is not a secret any more. Which is really ok: if you want, you can look - I am pretty sure you will find yourself listed in there.

I occasionally look back, thumb through the pages and find that nearly all the entries, from when I started back in 2010 are for such mudane, simple things: I can't imagine that anyone else would be even remotely interested in looking. But since my blessings are packed down, and overflowing, adding up daily, too numerous to count, I am running out of space, and will soon need another...

No comments:

Post a Comment