Saturday, June 16, 2012

a few days of pay... jingle,jingle

Funny that I don't seem to have the desire? motivation? focus? to get any place on time, but I am never late for work. Except for a couple of weeks ago, when I did not know I was supposed to be there... Even though I know that I am the one, and only, who is responsible for checking the weekly schedule to know when I should be standing  there in front of the time clock, ready to punch my employee code to start at just the right minute. No one else should be telling me when - that schedule is posted for all to see, and be aware of what is expected.

But I choose to only take 1/2 of the responsibility for that 'whoops' recently. There is a desk calendar where everyone knows to write 'unavailable' dates on, times or days when they have reasons to be Not Available.Like doctor's appointments, when they need to come in early, or work the closing shift hours. Or taking vacation days, or just wanting days off back-to-back to take a little time off, get away from daily grind. And I know I had written on that calendar that I was going out of town for the weekend, and would not be available to work the few paltry hours that I've been getting lately on Sunday afternoons.

So I did. I went out of town, and had a great time. But was coming back to Columbus earlier on Sunday that usual, and off-handedly called the store to see if I might come in for a few hours to get daily incoming freight prepped and out for sale. Only to find that I was supposed to be on the clock at the time I was calling from two hours away. I did go, late - which I find irksome, to say nothing of company policy.To say nothing of repercussions that occur when the semi-annual job evaluations come around again and the time clock reports I was hours and hours late arriving for assigned work.

All that to say: it nearly happened again today. I was loaded up, ready to hit the road, planning to leave town this morning. In retrospect thankful I did not do the usual when I get on the road before daylight to get half the driving done before the sun comes up. With a most unlikely thought, I decided to stop by and check to see what the schedule would be for next week - and discovered I am supposed to be there Today. Not at all expected. But I made a quick U-turn, in a sudden wave of better judgement, and decided I would put on my green shirt and make an appearance - at 9 a.m., just like the computer has been programmed for.

I'd asked the department manger, who makes the decisions about scheduling, what I should expect while my co-worker is away for a few days, and he distinctly did not say Saturday. And did say Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, so I was prepared for that. But since it is nice to have a little jingle in my pocket, think it wise to show the discretion that will postpone travels, to put in a great big whopping four hours of work today. When we talked about upcoming schedule, I mentioned (in what I hope was a friendly, amused manner) that I thought being scheduled for four hours of work was hardly worth taking my pajamas off, so wondered if it would be o.k. to come in wearing p.j.s?

No comments:

Post a Comment