Thursday, March 1, 2018

do more...

...of what makes you happy! I received this greeting card from a friend several weeks ago, with a sweet hand-written note. I was so thrilled with the card and sentiment, I immediately sat down to write and tell her I was going to post it on my bathroom mirror: now almost covered with file cards containing various verses and words of wisdom. The words she wrote reported how enjoyable our lunch date was when we met, ate, talked, laughed, commiserated at the Chicken Salad Chick eatery about two miles from my house. She is a really sweet person. A delight to sit and talk with, share life together.

I met her as she was shopping at my work place, we just talked each time she came in the store, and gradually became friends/lunch buddies. We probably get together every couple of months, when our schedules will allow, coincide with her coming in from 'way out in Marion County and I am off by noon for us to meet and visit. Her 93 (?) year old mother has a home about a block away from J.'s house, and  with assistance continues to manage independent living.

I have not seen J. since back in January. She mentioned the last time we met that she had an appointment with dermatology. To let them see what was going on with a small spot on the very top of her head. She is now a 'poster child' for wearing head-coverings and sunscreen. It was melanoma, and it has spread. I try to write her a note at least once a week, words of encouragement. But knowing she has this worry must make her very anxious, for herself and her husband. But especially as the primary caregiver for her mother, who is pretty much housebound and completely dependent on them for daily care: meals, shopping, travel to appointments.

No comments:

Post a Comment