Sunday, December 3, 2017

two parents...

... who were born in the decade of the big financial bust of 1929, therefore growing up in the depression era of the 1930's. Raised as children by their frugal parents who remembered hardships before and after WWI. Instructed in how to be equally careful with each dime, dutifully pinching each penny until it squealed like a piglet stuck in the fence. Generations who were always careful with their funds, often working extra/side jobs to supplement income. Allowing me to continue to reap the benefits of their thrift, as I make notes daily on reasons to be thankful in my Little Book of Blessings.

Many women/wives/mothers were excellent seamstresses. Much clothing was made at home: yard goods purchased, patterns re-used, pieces cut and assembled to make children's entire wardrobes. As well as dresses, coats, hats, sweaters women wore every day. It was a big deal to get a new hand-made dress at Easter when I went with my mom to choose fabric and pick a pattern from the huge book of designs. My grandmother made me a new outfit for my birthday for many years, allowing me to make all the choices of color, material and style. Tucked away in storage, I still have a couple of things my grandmother sewed, just for me. Of course, I have spread, so nothing fits, but still.....

I have a distinct memory of my mom doing one particular thing that was probably very common in that time of hand-made wardrobes: turning collars on my dad's shirts. When a collar on a cloth shirt would fray, while the body was still quite serviceable, my mom would remove the collar and flip it over.  Carefully pin and stitch it back in place reversed, with the fray folded under, invisible. Giving much more use out of a shirt that no longer looked worn and ragged.

Well... what's good for the gander is good enough for the goose. I recently noticed a small frayed area on the collar of a shirt I have had for years. I asked my friend P. who frequently sews, to reverse it for me. She had a mom who did that, so she did not look at me like I am a crazy person (although she knows!)  It looks great, good as nearly new and ready to be worn and enjoyed another forty years.



There are actually two nearly identical shirts. Everything is the same except one has blue stripes, the other has pink. Dear friend P. repaired pink for me, which means it has been worn and enjoyed more over many years than the blue. Even more interesting: my adult children wore these shirts when they were teens, returning both to my closet when they out grew them (or possibly they were un-cool?)

No comments:

Post a Comment