Friday, December 8, 2017

travelin' w/o 1 horse sleigh...

... but possibly in need of de-icing on the return trip.  Back in October, before the 'too much fun with Willie' incident, I had planned to visit in Virginia in early November.  Due to profoundly limited mobility, and more than a little anxiety about traveling alone while damaged, I decided to postpone. Fully expecting to be back up to 99% by December, able-bodied and under full power.

Recovery has not moved along as swiftly as I desired, so able-bodied is relative. 'Full power' is not true, but I am getting there.  After my travel agent rescheduled my tickets, I drove to Decatur Wed. night, to get to Hartsfield-Jackson International on Thursday morning. According to the info on the boarding pass, it takes longer than ever (meaning: forever!) to get through TSA. I wanted to allow ample time for the person with the new metal implant to be manhandled.  Sure enough, I was pulled aside and thoroughly scanned/inspected.  Patted front and back, checked for chemical residue. Found to be clean as a whistle, and sent along to ride the high speed underground train to the concourses.

By the time I arrived at "C", I'd forgotten my gate number due to an overload of information as my person was inspected, so had to stop and ask.  Now would be a good time to confess to a bit of mild subterfuge. When I was packing, planning, trying to determine how many layers I would need, I added the Velcro-strapped sling for my arm. Believing I would benefit from appearing to be mildly disabled. Taking of every opportunity to make the boarding process easier, letting people assume as they wish. 

It got me into a much shorter line leading up to the TSA checkpoint, bu that's about it. I was surrounded by people in wheelchairs, or being transported by airport personnel. Which made me thankful for being mobile. Then pulled out of line to be frisked due to metal in knee brace, metal in hand, looking like a suspicious character (just kidding - overdressed but perfectly harmless.)

The flight was uneventful, arriving a few minutes early. Peeps I came to visit were just walking into the terminal when Icame down the escalator to baggage claim/ground transportation area.  As per usual, we went directly to Panera bread store for lunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment