Friday, December 1, 2017

substitute teaching...

... days that will add up to ten after I go to my  little jobette today. I was browsing the options for 'day labor' work recently. Being profoundly bored with my disability and interested in employment, I came across a position that was for a half-day in an elementary school. Due to the broken arm, and obvious limitations, I did not want to present myself for employment under false pretenses - have the school expect I was perfectly able to do the job, but show up with an obvious handicap. I did not feel my disability would prevent me from functioning in the classroom, but believed in full disclosure.

I called the school to explain my situation, and was offered a job in a different classroom, and went in to to work a full day in Kindergarten. After conversation, that half-day position was offered for the next day, which would turn out to be very easy to handle. In a classroom with four other teachers, and rotating groups of special ed. students. Which surprised me, as I have never been willing to accept work in a classroom of this type. Just uneasy about the students, and feeling I was not capable of handling the needs of these kids.

This occurred before the students were out a week for Thanksgiving holiday. The job was still open, so I called on Monday morning, to ask if I could come back, with the cast still on my arm. It will be four days of employment for the week. Meaning I am inching up on the ten days the school district requires to remain 'in good standing' per semester. And will hopefully get several more before the schools will close for three weeks over Christmas, to reopen well into January.


No comments:

Post a Comment