Tuesday, December 5, 2017

as a result of a small windfall...

... unexpected bounty that recently came my way, I decided to treat myself to a trip through the carwash this morning. I had to buy gas, and ended up at a curb store that has a little drive through jiffy wash, with various (inflated) prices for extra finishes. I didn't go for the budget version, but not the high end either - thinking the 'premium' would make my windshield a mess when they spray shiney stuff on.

While I was obediently sitting there, politely observing the signs that blink: 'pull forward', 'stop!', 'back up!' and 'finished', I thought of the last time I paid for a trip through an automated car wash. It was a day to remember.We got stuck, and the car wash would not let us out! Funny now, scary then.

I had small children. I don't know what possessed me to think it would be a good idea to take a twenty year old rusty, raggedy, beat-up truck through the car wash, as it had likely never been washed since it came off the assembly line in Dee-troit.  But with two small churrens bouncing on the bench seat, in we went. I have as clear a memory of that place and time as if I had a snapshot.

The hang up was those big, ungainly after-market, rectangular mirrors that stuck out on each door, apparently designed to assist with e a good line of sight when pulling a trailer or hauling some wide load on the pick up bed? At any rate, mirrors were not meant for car washes. The big whirling mop-like things that scrub got stuck on the armature/mount of the mirrors that must have come out nearly a foot from the cab. Could not go forward or back. There we sat. I think we all got a little panick-y. I know the small churrens were getting more than a little frantic. Thinking they would be spending the remainder of their young lives in there?

I started blowing the horn in the center of the steering wheel. Someone finally came to our rescue, and I assume hit the button to stop the whole thing. Which must have surely ground to a halt, allowing us to escape, semi-clean, but other wise unscathed. I was likely so thankful to be set free I probably did  not have the presence of mind to ask for a refund. It is amusing now, but I recall little people being terrified at the time.

I don't have a pick up or small peeps any more, but I have been eyeing trucks on used lots recently. So if you see one that is a good price, let me know. I am not in the market for small children.

No comments:

Post a Comment