Thursday, December 14, 2017

my brother asked...

... about some things he was hoping I might still be able to locate that he remembered from my dad's work shop. So I called the guy who is using the building for his business, storing tools and building supplies needed for his renovating work. After I told him what I was looking for, I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say he knew just exactly what I was talking about, could readily put his hand on what I was hoping to find.




One of the things my brother had been thinking about was tree climbing spurs that belonged to our granddad. I do not have much memory of this man as he died when I was very young, but I do have a clear image of my brother tying the metal spurs on his legs with hay-baling twine, and attempting to climb a tree or wooden utility pole. Brother said the metal shanks that extend up almost to your knee were meant to be buckled on with a strap similar to a short belt. There is a U shape that goes under your shoe, held in place by the boot heel, with a short spike extending down, that was meant to be jabbed into either side the pole as the lineman climbs to solve the wiring problem.

Now, in these modern times, utility workers all use bucket trucks.  With a long mechanical arm that will lift them up right to the top of the pole, with all the tools they need to make repairs.There may be some older workers who still have the skill and equipment to climb a light pole. But it is likely a vanishing art, plus most of the utilities installed now are either on concrete poles or buried underground. I certainly do not have any sentimental attachment to the tree climbing spurs, as they look painful to wear as well as dangerous to put to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment