Tuesday, December 26, 2017

nearly a tree...


 .... in that it almost was, but not quite. I went to the craft store and bought several strings of tiny-est lights on tiny-est wires to wrap around a couple of bare branches I stuck in a vase half filled with  little round, flat, clear glass decorative pebbles. I was impressed - thinking it looks pretty good, for something that is impromptu and only temporary.

I have never purchased a fresh cut tree, though I think there was one here a couple of years, when I was not paying attention, and young people grabbed the opportunity to go and buy a fraser fir. I cannot imagine spending money on a  tree you will put out for the trash man in a matter of days. Already cut, and dying before you can get it in the door. We've had a reusable one off and on for years, something that would reside in the attic fifty weeks of the year, then come down to be hung, draped, tinseled and plugged in for sparkly frou-frou near year end. It went in the church yard sale some time ago, creating the perfect excuse for not devoting my time to decorating a tree in the living room each December.


I knew the people who were coming to celebrate the holiday would have some commentary about the fact that there was no tree. Therefore: the tiny little one with tiny clear lights, masquerading as a Christmas tree. Not only was it all the tree I needed, it was all they were gonna get... Until someone came in the door with a real, cut, fresh, green one, already decorated with ornaments and lights, perfect table-top size, ready to be plugged in.

No comments:

Post a Comment