Monday, October 9, 2017

traveling in the rain...

...when I drove up to Decatur yesterday, after a full day at work. I had requested days off on Monday and Tuesday, to go to TN. Plus wanted to see a cousin who has been in the states for several weeks, returning to UK on Tuesday. Her sister's daughter living in Decatur area, was the bride a couple of weeks ago. The cousin has enjoyed having time (sans children) to visit friends, family, former co-workers in the US while she has been here.

The remnants of a tropical storm, that did not quite build up to hurricane level winds, has been blowing, dripping, soaking us for several days. The rain is good, as it has been beneficial since everything has gotten really dry around the area. Surprising, since we just endured hurricane winds and rains two weeks ago when Irma devastated everything from Barbuda to Alabama. Another soaking with some days of rain is welcome at my house, though I am not sure farmers hoping to get in their crops feel the same.

Today is the birthday of the daughter in TN. I told her months ago I was planning to come up and see her on Oct. 9. Even though there was a good chance I would have to sit around and watch her sleep. Or fold a mountain of clean clothes, or wash a big pile of accumulated dishes. Just wanted to see her on her b'day as I have done for several years. The best in recent memory: the year we took a big cardboard carton, washer/dryer sized, wrapped in colorful paper, hid inside and closed the lid. Jumped out, singing the birthday song when she came in the room. I don't think I will ever top that...

No comments:

Post a Comment