Wednesday, October 4, 2017

four hundred twenty-four...

... miles today from six a.m until 8:00 pm. Driving from home to Valdosta and back again. Went to take my auntie to a dr. appointment. It was a long day of travel, but I had to get back to go to bed and up again at five o'clock to go to work in the morning.

I was really anxious at the prospect of me being the one to transport the auntie to the doctor's office. She has a history with us, cousins and myself, of being highly uncooperative when we have been the drivers trying to help her out. Unwilling to do what is necessary, what we have asked her to, making us all extremely reluctant to be the ones doing the driving. She would willingly get in the car to go someplace, then decide she would not get out after a trip. Which would understandably make anyone think long and hard before considering getting involved in transporting when needed.

But today was much better than in the past, though I admit to lots of low grade anxiety during the time she was with me today. We went out to lunch, then to her appointment at the doctors' office. She must have asked me two dozen times while in the waiting area who the doctor was, why she was there, who sent her, and what sort of doctor she was seeing. I answered the questions over and over. In what I thought was a remarkable show of patience. Considering the possibility of making up something different each time, but decided to be consistent.

All my worries were for naught. She was mostly agreeable, and did not present any problems at all when I took her back to the facility where she is living. Though she questioned me about how long she would be there, and who thought she needed to stay, she was not as disagreeable or combative as I had feared.  Went placidly back in the door to the place she has been living since early summer. A gigantic sigh of relief here!

She was, surprisingly, thoroughly dissatisfied with the chic-fil-a sandwich she had for lunch: did not have mayo., needed salt, where were the lettuce and tomato, too much bread. If my mom had been there and witnessed this person, her sister, being so consistently disagreeable, she would have described it as a situation where 'you can't win for losing'. Which means, I think - that no matter what you do - it will be the wrong thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment