Wednesday, October 18, 2017

falling-apart-ness...

... update, if you are interested in knowing more. Time has not improved my weak stomach when discussing all things internal. Heaving seemed likely every single day while I was enrolled in the Biology 202 class with lab. Just the thought of the the odor of formaldehyde causes my stomach to feel like 'rough seas ahead.' I avert my face when approaching road-kill.

Conversation about surgery should be prefaced with 'you should sit down before we talk', as it makes me week-kneed and queasy.  In this case, reminding me of the title of an early Rolling Stones hit: "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and other distressing facts of life.  Just because something is a proven truism, does not mean it isn't unpleasant, profoundly distasteful as well as possibly gruesome. Your tolerance for the abhorrent might be elevated due to an addiction to NCIS/forensic-type shows, or too much zombie apocalypse viewing. As for me, it is too much like road-kill, I'm simply not looking!

The 'truism' here is that I will have surgery on my hand/wrist. Some extra parts put in to hold it all together. I don't recall if the Dr. said 'metal' or he might have just said 'plate', along with nine screws to keep everything in place. Sadly, I already know from viewing the photos, there is a small triangular/pyramid-shaped chunk that seems to be free-floating.  After it broke off from the place it should be attached on the radial arm bone, just below my thumb.  The plan is to put me back together, (like the nursery rhyme character who fell off the wall as passers-by laughed), and eventually be good as new, or  perhaps semi-good?

He said I should expect to be disabled for months to come. The recovery will take six to eight weeks. It will already have been nearly two weeks by the time he gets started, so I am looking at being indisposed until mid-December. Not at all what I had expected my immediate future would hold.


No comments:

Post a Comment