Monday, October 9, 2017

the letter said...

... my primary care doctor is not going to be available to patients. It was worded so you think she is retiring, but then you read again, and see she is closing her office. Not leaving, or moving, but just 'not available'. Making me think she is just going off on a tangent, changing the focus of her practice. Going in a different direction, rather than leaving the medical community entirely. But sadly, deciding she will not be my doctor in the future.

Which is problematic, as I am too old to consider the necessity of having to break in another one. I know I can have my thick folder of staffing notes, history transferred to another practice. But I don't want to have to start at square one, and discuss all that stuff, go over the plowed ground with a staffer I don't know, and then have to do it again with a new doc. I have no choice in the matter, but that does not make the daunting prospect any more palatable.

And... to make it even worse: the letter from the doctor reminded me that I would need to be sure the person I find to take responsibility for my health care will also take my insurance. Which I have discovered multiplies the challenge by ten. I understand the aggravating necessity for health insurance. Everything about it makes me say: Arggghhhh.  I often wonder what people without do when faced with a monumental expense. Loose everything they own?

But you know the practice will  not let you in the door without your proof of insurance. They will ask you on the phone for your provider before they want your name. You can't even talk to the receptionist without having coverage, and it has to be a plan the doctor will accept. It is so frustrating.

I talked to several people, friends who I thought might offer suggestions. And got several names. Even talked with a friend who is a pediatrician, and she told me of a PA. Made several calls, and found no one who would take me/my insurance. Arrrggghhh. Finally found a doctor in a big practice who does accept it only to hear the first 'new patient' appointment would be nearly eight weeks away.

Sounds like a good news/bad news joke: fortunately I don't actually need a doctor. Sadly, the only one I can find doesn't want to see me (for two months). Knowing the necessity of establishing a relationship, I wanted to get my foot in the door, to be able to get help if/when needed. Having no need to see a medical professional, while knowing my (necessary) insurance will be billed for a complete medical history/workup that is totally without merit is nearly as frustrating as finding the provider in the first place.

The receptionist put me down in the book. And sent a large packet of paperwork I must complete to turn in on arrival. I have done the history, and keep adding things as I think of them. The actual date for the appointment is still nearly a month away. I will practice being thankful for medical insurance. And am daily thankful for good health, mobility, plus the clarity of mind to do the work of sussing out my un-met new provider, and ability to remember enough of my cloudy history to fill out all the forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment