Monday, February 22, 2016

what i was telling them...(polenta)

... all day long yesterday when attempting to persuade them to eat something sort of 'foreign' that they had never tried before is: "it is really just 'glorified grits' with cheese". It was' polenta' on the recipe, but nothing more than cornmeal cooked in chicken stock. Some might want to cook in milk or just plain tap water, that would affect the taste, and maybe the consistency, as I think the milk or chicken stock would give a better flavor.

The other recipe I was cooking all day is something I decided to not consume, thinking I did not want to put dark meat chicken in my mouth. Sorry! I seem to have become peculiar in my eating habits, but recently concluded that I do not care to eat it. My loss, I know, as there is a unique item that is available in only one place locally that consists of dark meat chicken and rice, rolled in a flour tortilla with some wonderfully bad-for-you sauce that is really good. And now that I have decided I really don't care for the texture of that particular part of the bird, I won't enjoy going with some of my favorite people to eat something that used to be really tasty: Chicken roll-ups. Too bad.

Polenta recipe with cheese... so easy it's one of those things that you really don't need a recipe for...

4 cups liquid: this recipe calls for chicken broth/stock (low sodium)
1 1/4 cups ground corn meal
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 tsp. kosher salt.

Bring liquid to a boil. Slowly pour in cornmeal, steadily whisking into liquid (do it slowly or it will get clumpy and be lumpy), continuously stirring as you pour corn into liquid.  Reduce heat to med/low, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cheeses and salt.  If you like grits, you will like this. It is smooth and creamy, like grits would be if you used milk for liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment