Monday, February 1, 2016

on the ride home...

...from the concert last night, I was listening to the radio and found the 'Car Talk' show. Those guys amuse themselves so well, they don't really need an audience! I know it was a replay, and expect that they will continue to be a source of entertainment and education for years to come. Thoroughly entertaining even if no one is listening: as in - does the tree falling in the forest make a sound if no on is there?

And a weather report telling me to expect rain this morning, and wet for the rest of the day. Which I took as good news, since I had planned to go to help tidy up/pull weeds at the Botanical Gardens this morning, as part of the once-a-month ground crew. When I got the email reminder last week, I'd made a note on my calendar, with a distinct lack of enthusiasm, but willing to devote an hour or so to the project. Then, with the prospect of a steady drizzle all day, optimistically sent an email to the organizer, hoping it would postponed for another day.

No such luck: And though it is completely overcast, dull and gray here this morning, there is no rain. I walked around the yard at my house yesterday, looking for signs of spring, and see lots of the bulbs, especially hyacinths, that are starting to peek up out of the ground, after lots of rain and a little sunshine. As well as lots of early spring weeds that were shouting for attention. I pulled a few, and hope to get out there to do some more before the undesirables bloom and have an opportunity spread seeds/reproduce. Demonstrating, I guess, the truth in the obscure saying I heard from my mother: 'It rains on the just and the unjust'....meaning, I suppose, that the weeds grow faster than the things we plant and desire to flourish?

No comments:

Post a Comment