Sunday, February 28, 2016

ant invasion...

... as if the millipedes were not problematic enough, in recent weeks there has been a mysterious proliferation of ants in the house. I am totally baffled. I grew up in a house that had a continuous influx of: mice, roaches as well as (you are not surprised - I've written about this before now) periodic snakes that take up residence and expect to happily cohabitate with humans. But I don't recall ever having a problem with ants before. I am not sure if they are the mean, biting, aggravating sort we diligently avoid that are commonly known as Fire Ants. But whatever the variety, the are not welcome in the house.

They appeared some weeks ago, in a relatively small infestation, that caused me to go to the store and buy little traps in an effort to do a homeowner elimination. The traps come four to a pack and require you to cut an opening to allow the insects to be attracted by and creep into the small clear box that has a appealing sticky liquid. They, of course, get stuck. I guess it sort of worked, or perhaps I was lulled into believing success was achieved. Then the weather got really cold/wet and they came back with a vengeance, just like a bad monster movie from Japan in the '60's. Invasion of the Man-eating Whatever! 

Whereupon I became convinced they had taken up residence inside the walls. Requiring a visit from the professional pest control guy. I hope/guess it worked. The newest little sticky traps I have put out have remained nearly ant-less, meaning they are gone or dead or planning a full scale invasion that will make the humans evacuate.

About a week ago, I walked out of the carport onto the concrete apron of the driveway and noticed a little line of ants traveling from the yard toward the house, across the edge of concrete where it transitions from rough of driveway to smooth of concrete floor in the carport.  So I got out my little handy-dandy fire ant killing powder and sprinkled a line the length of the little ant trail. When I looked the next day: there were a gazillion ant corpses scattered along the edge of the carport

Though I would like to think the ninety dollar visit by the pest control guy resolved the problem, I am not much optimistic about a long term solution. As the weather warms and they come out from underground (probably living under the concrete driveway, warmed by solar heat) I expect to see lots more of them  being a major nuisance in the yard. I am wondering if they do not care to inhabit yards where there are chickens that love to stir up the dirt, peck at bugs, dig for protein, search the leaf mulch for tempting morsels?

No comments:

Post a Comment