Thursday, May 2, 2013

what do you think heaven will smell like?

Today turned out to be busier/longer than expected. After getting up and making a trip into town pretty early on, I thought I would spend the morning at home, puttering around in the yard. That did not happen. The only thing that got done was replanting several things the Yeti had come by and uprooted overnight, and getting them watered well after tucking the roots back underground.

I'd made plans to go to Respite at UMC downtown and do some potting with participants of the program. So I made a couple of stops at garden centers to find assorted bedding plants and get bags of dirt to fill the plastic pots I had accumulated to recycle, and give new life/use with spring bloomers. I think/hope the group enjoyed the planting and taking home pots of mixed annuals. And hope they will keep watered, have colorful plants to enjoy in weeks to come. There were a few leftovers that I put out in the little fenced, secured 'secret garden' where I have periodically worked at wrangling weeds in recent years. With a porch swing, bird bath, some outdoor tables with umbrellas and chairs, locked gate to prevent unwanted guests (and wandering by the memory-impaired) it is such an inviting place for the participants (and worker-bees) of the program to enjoy.

The guys who are getting paid to do the lawn service maintenance at the UMC are slacking, in my opinion - the sweet little enclosed garden area has really been neglected. I don't think it has been mowed since last year, and dandelions were rampant, along with lots of other undesirables. Those misplaced 'wildflowers' have really taken over this spring: I spent a couple of hours out there, probably fighting a loosing battle, since many of the stragglers had gone to seed.

The nicest part was the delightfully blooming aromatic confederate jasmine, full of tiny star shaped wonderfully fragrant flowers - nothing like it! Except may tea-olive shrub, that gives off an aroma that is what I think heaven will smell like when we get to poke our noses through the slats in the pearly gates....

Hope your day was filled with good stuff too....

No comments:

Post a Comment