Tuesday, May 28, 2013

bushwhacking in (not through) south GA, on Memorial Day

Made a quick trip to south GA already this week and the week has barely started. I left work on Sunday afternoon and drove down to spend the night. After a number of foolishly crasy-quick experiences where I drive six or more hours in one day, I am learning my body is in not so much a state of denial, but more like a sense of betrayal: my brain seems to think I'm thirty years younger than my body can readily respond to! Which means the joints and muscles cannot keep up with what the brain would like/expects to get accomplished in the course of a day. Including a six hour drive to Valdosta and back in one day, I know it's do-able, but I don't want to do it. So I worked five hours on Sunday, then got in the car to make the three hour drive Sunday evening.... yes, I know... that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense either, but consider the source?!

I got up early Monday to get some yard work done, even though I knew before I started my effort would not have any visible effect. I slathered on the insect repellant and spent several hours whacking. Spraying some perpetual weeds, dug up a few of those simlax tubers that make me feel so very self-righteous when I think ' that little stinker won't be back again', and painted  some other stuff I cut off with industrial strength brush killer to try to at least paralyze if not kill. You'd not really notice any improvement, unless you saw the big pile of brush out by the street awaiting the trash truck.

Had lunch with a friend, went on to Valdosta to visit, and got in the road headed north about 6 o'clock. Uneventful drive, even though I was sipping on a huge cup of root beer that should have caused me to stop nine times to make deposits at every curb store I passed. I paid $3.29 for gas along the interstate, and got home about 9:30. Unloaded all that backseat full of misc., and fell into bed.

Oh - and the other thing I did on Monday morning, was to get a big pile of boxes out of the attic, that I will load up to get rid of. All tax records that are at least 13 years old, so I want to get them shredded instead of just tossing in the trash. I never thought this sort of paperwork should just casually go in the public landfill, but after my ID theft/scare last week, I know even though the parties involved are deceased, the papers need to be destroyed rather than left to waft around the planet. Gradually making headway on fifty-plus years 'accumulation' of people living in one place... and stopped by to check on those people before I left town. Took my little spray bottle with weedkiller to keep the grass at bay, and pay a bit of homage to the forebears on Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment