Monday, May 20, 2013

drivin' and drivin' and drivin' some more....

Left home early Friday am to go to Decatur, left Decatur early Friday afternoon to go to Chattanooga. Did a bunch of nothing, though I had taken things to plant in the yard on 52 St. It rained quite a bit, which I am sure made their vegetable garden very happy. But so wet, we did not get out and get the foxglove and coreopsis planted.

I went as what the Girl Scouts routinely call a 'tag-a-long', when scout moms have to bring younger siblings along for scout events- to a meeting in LaFayette. It's 'way up in the north corner of GA, just below Chatta, about a forty-five minute drive from the Council Office. I spent some a couple of hours meandering around downtown (about four blocks square, maybe a bit larger than the town I lived in for my first 18 years, but not by much). Two blocks on main street were barricaded, for a street fair. Various vendors, bar-be-quers, funnel cake friers, cotton candy spinners, jumpy-things to entertain kids, local merchants, alpaca farmers put up canopies and sell/advertise their wares. It was interesting, but the kind of thing that after you've spent an hour, you've seen it all. Some pretty, well maintained old houses near the downtown area, and some not so well loved, but that's true of most anywhere... Some empty storefronts, and some with what looked to be thriving businesses - just like most other small towns, struggling to keep going.

Went to church on Sunday, had a quick lunch and started back to Decatur, where I veered off onto Eleanor St. We left for south GA. I thought about driving down to the Florida line, just so I could say I had driven from mile marker 359 to mile marker 1 on I-75 that day, but got off the interstate at mile marker 11 instead.

Spent the night at 1209, and had a pretty productive day today: sweeping, hosing off pollen, picking up yard trash, pulling a few weeds, visiting relatives, and getting back to Columbus before dark. A huge pile of misc. in my car took an hour to unload, and now I am going to bed - have to be at work at 7:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment