Monday, April 1, 2013

about my friend Jay

I have something I need to tell you , and don't really know how you will respond. Probably not well, but this is something you need to know:

I have a friend from church who has been having some family issues, was put in jail by relatives and has been there for about two months. It seems like this individual has, from time to time, been in a contentious relationship with siblings, and in-laws, in the past. I think it must have been the 'in-law part' of the family was so itimidated by him, they had a restraining order that would prevent him from having any contact with them. He sent an 'innocent' little text message, and they called the po-po on him, and he has been looking at the world through vertical lines since late January.
 
I have been writing him frequently, as he is allowed to receive mail, but they read it before they give it to him, so I know I should not include any thing like a nail file or clippers. I recently discovered there is a program the county started  as a pilot program with some grant money. It seems  the incarcerated individual is allowed  to can find someone to take their place. So if you can persuade a friend or relative to come inside, you can get out for a bit of fresh air, if the replacement agrees to wear the orange jumpsuit for you while you are out on a week's reprieve, enjoying a breath of fresh air and  freedom. On R & R from the stress of life behind the locked doors. 
I don't see how it can be all that bad: three meals a day, housing, clothing, comprehensive medical care, including any prescription drugs dispensed at no cost - all provided by the taxpayers.But I am sure the limitations on your activities can get tiresome.
 
I have agreed to go and spend a week at the Muscogee county jail. But will be out soon, as I have only agreed to do it for a week. He is hoping to find enough people who will agree to take his place that there will be someone different, a volunteer wearing the orange jumpsuit for fifty two weeks. 
I hope you will write to me while I am away on vacation? Please notice the date at the beginning of this post.

1 comment: