Friday, March 29, 2013

getting it done...

I accidentally found myself with the responsibility of putting together fresh flower bouquets for a wedding on Saturday. An acquaintance from church had asked several months ago if I would help with decorations for her daughter who was planning to get married on the Saturday before Easter. I said 'of course' ...and did not write it down in the appropriate square on my calendar/life-keeping device. Whoops.

She sent me photos a couple of weeks ago, of what the bride would like to have. Something that is normally readily available, but, (Murphy's Law) there is none anyplace in a radius of twenty miles when I need these particular lilies to make the bridesmaids bouquets. I sure hope she will be satisfied with Plan B.

In talking with the department manager at Publix, I understood that I would not be on the schedule to work on the Saturday before Easter. So I was: oh, no problem... I'll have plenty of time to get it done on Friday night and all day on Saturday. Then I went to work earlier this week and: Whoops! I'm on the work schedule for both Friday and Saturday...

There I was last night, at 9:00, making a run to another store (I think that was the seventh trip to Publix looking for lilies - plus two stops at Winn Dixie), trying to get enough lilies to finish the four bridesmaid's  bouquets. I will have to get the other two, the ones with roses, done today... Why I am sitting here typing instead of arranging, cutting stems, hand-tying ribbons, I can't say... I need to get this mess finished and cleaned up, put in the auxiliary fridge to deliver tomorrow afternoon.

Now that I've asked to have my work hours rearranged so I can get there at 7:00 in the morning, and leave at 2:00 - I don' t think I will have a problem with getting the flowers in the hands of the wedding party in plenty of time. Once again: I am certain that the bride will have absolutely no memory whatsoever of anything on her wedding day, without people showing her photos or telling stories later. And by then: it won't matter. And hopefully everything that went awry will be something they can laugh about for the next fifty years....

No comments:

Post a Comment