Friday, April 19, 2013

the meaning of snafu

This is really an update on my friend Jay. He was the topic of the blog back in early April - the one that most of my three readers found alarming instead of the hoped-for amusing. With what must be a tragically warped sense of humor, I was under the mis-impression that all would find great humor in getting to the end of the post and discover it was all a huge, hilarious joke, as it was written on the first day of the month. Apparently I was the only amused one - besides Jay, who, even in dire and incarcerated circumstances got a laugh when I wrote and told him the backstory of a long history of poorly planned pranks pulled on unsuspecting family members.

My phone rang in my pocket yesterday morning, when I was out walking, and when I answered with hello?, the voice on the other end inquired: "do you know the meaning of 'snafu'?" My response was that I know both meanings - and then I recognized the voice: it was Jay! He is out!

I asked if he had been allowed to keep his orange jumpsuit as a memento of his vacation, to include in his scrapbook. I was thinking he might miss wearing it, and would want to occasionally put it on for old time's sake, like a little kid with a special blankie or stuffed animal used for comfort. (Not so funny when incarcerating facts are considered.) He was probably delighted to be wearing his own clothing again. I asked if he was wearing any court ordered jewelry, like possibly an ankle monitor. He said not, but that he bail-bond office just across the street from the jail has a genuine, authentic ball and chain with the attachment device for applying to an ankle still intact - reportedly from the island of Alcatraz.

He also said that he had been able to decline all the offers of jail-house tattoos the inmates had offered, and hopefully had been able to resist the charms of all who were interested in starting a romance as well. I'm so glad he is out, back in the world - able to breath fresh air, look up and see the sun and blue sky - clouds floating by, return to the commonplace, ordinary joys of living in America.

I told him how delighted I was that he called to share the fact of freedom. And how often I mention to people who have good news to share that it blesses me just to hear them tell of happy-ness in their families and lives. Times where there is so much goodness going on that it seems like their joy overflows and they have to share it around, they are so full of peace and goodwill it will start oozing out of their pores..

So many people seem to look at the world, their circumstances, life in general, and see their particular portion as 'glass half-empty', it brings joy, smiles, often tears of delight to hear family and friends share those things in life that bring overflowing joy. So thanks to those who look at their days as 'glass half full', optimistic positive and looking forward into each new day as filled with opportunity. (MF included) And thanks for  sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment