Tuesday, April 16, 2013

gloriously glorious - and smiling too!


That's what my daisies are doing. The ones I planted last spring in that big blank space across the front of the house that had nothing, not even grass growing in it. After living in this place for thirty years, and not making any effort to 'spruce up', particularly in that spot that was barren and bare, it was time for something to happen. Probably part of my surreptitious plan to put the house on the market. No need for alarm: no time soon - just inching toward things that will create 'curb appeal'. Knowing it needs to look good in the photos, since browsing online seems to be the way everything, including real estate, is going.

I am wishing everyone I know would cruise by and have a glimpse of my beauty-full daisies. I was so delighted all over again, like I am every time I come in the driveway and see all those bright smiling faces, I wanted someone else to come and say 'Wow'. So I called my co-worker, who loves blooming things as much as I do, and said: ' if you have no other plans at 7:01, cruise by and be amazed at my daisies!' And he did, but probably not nearly as pleased as I am every time I come home and they are all grinning all over themselves, waiting for someone to say 'Wow' again.

They are so pretty, bright white petals with bright yellow centers, on stems as tall as eighteen inches. Amazing to see what some good dirt, sunshine, plenty of watering during a dry summer, and TLC can do. I transplanted them from a place in the yard they obviously did not like, as they were inching out into the grass, where they wouldn't stand a chance - getting mowed over continuously. But so desperate for sunshine, and wanting to be in a place they could grow and thrive, like mis-treated pets, they just kept creeping out into the grass begging for attention and a little care. So I moved them in little clumps to some really good rich, nourishing soil, right along the edge of the driveway, and fertilized them all summer long, keeping the hoses running in the hot hot hot of blistering summer.

And just to show what a little nurturing can do: You need to look at how gloriously glorious the daisies are!



I took 'before' photos as I was starting to develop a plan, after I had a couple of truck loads of dirt brought in to build the bed up (and trench dug, with a drain line put in so it would not all wash away with the first hard rain.) And was out there in the past couple of days, with the camera, taking photos of the gloriously glorious daisies, blooming their fool heads off. I am thinking that after the first ones fade, I can go out and do some 'judicious trimming', and the ones that are just now budding up will open and create even more glorious-ness.


No comments:

Post a Comment