Tuesday, March 5, 2013

ever been to Ball Ground? me neither - yet...

Now that I have new tires to take me interesting places, I am going! Even though the geographic location is not really part of the reason to go, I love the idea of all those oddly named towns I've heard of tucked away in Georgia, and looking forward to getting to see a place with a name like Ball Ground. This particular town,  up in north GA, is where there are hundreds and hundreds of bulbs planted: hopefully they will all be in glorious bloom on Wednesday.


I wanted to go last year about this time, but seem to recall that they were not open to the public. Well - now they are: not only open, but wanting people to come so badly they are advertising: supporting broadcasting on Georgia Public Radio is an easy way to get yourself promoted to the public. As well as charging over-priced admission: $20 a person to get in the gate.. At GibbsGarden.org, the venue is available as a place to rent for weddings, parties, special occasions. My guess is that it is designed and carefully groomed to have something blooming from early spring into the fall - with enough eye appeal to lure folks into wanting to pay big bucks  for use as site for memorable gatherings that would involve hired photographers to attend and commemorate their high-priced events. If I can figure out how to use the camera, I will take photos for you to enjoy.

I am, by way of planned detour, also going through Kathleen, GA, which is just below Warner Robins. Amongst other things, it is the location of a coffeehouse run as a ministry of the Presbyterian Church: a pretty unusual choice for church outreach program - especially when you consider history of ultra conservative protestant group. I know the manger, and thought it would be neat to go by and see her, an interesting diversion on my travels - she used to be a babysitter for our family.

And travelling through Macon, where I hope to visit a cousin I really like and seldom see. Then on to Decatur to locate my traveling companion who will go along on Wednesday to see the Gibbs Daffodil-
Land. And: there's a place over near Birmingham,in Hoover Alabama where some hydrangea lover (at aldridgegardens.com) has established a test-garden with hundreds of different varieties of plants that is open to the public. So when the weather gets a bit warmer, and the season of gloriously blooming hydrangeas occurs, we will be making a little trip to the west to investigate that. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Aldridge loves his plants and wants to share/show off so much, he does not charge a fee for admirers to come in and enjoy the fruits of his labor.

I have been to "Plum Nelly", 'way up in the northwest corner, but not to" Dewy Rose", which is probably like Midland - not much more than a post office, since the demise of coal and water stops on the railways. And there are plenty more interestingly, oddly named towns across the state that are in want of visiting before the USPS eliminates them, by closing branches of mail delivery system they think don't warrant staffing. So: Places to Go, Things to Do!

No comments:

Post a Comment