Wednesday, March 20, 2013

it may not qualify....

I am not sure how to describe today: if I was not actually working in MY yard, does it still qualify as yard work? I have  not done anything in my yard (other than walk around with the hand clippers when the 'Lizard Incident' occured) in months. But I went this morning and spent about two hours pulling up ivy with some fellow Master Gardeners on a very steep hillside at the Columbus Museum.

The person (also a MG) who persuaded me to want to apply manual labor to some 'other' yard, is the chairman of the annual Garden Tour sponsored as a big fundraiser by a local non-profit. The garden, designed by Fredrick Law Olmsted (who also did the original design for Central Park in NYC, along with lots of other impressive landscapes nation-wide), will be on the Garden Tour in May. So that chairperson is working with the Museum, as part of their anniversary celebration, to help get their garden area ship-shape. Since the original building ther was a family home, the gardens were once part of a private residence. Many years overgrown, and neglected, with lots of trash and sundry botanical surprises to be found amongst the plantings.

I have gotten so judiciously careful of protecting my back in recent months, I won't even do yard work at my house, lave been trying to find a teenager who wants to earn some cash, and it pays pretty good. It's both surprising and possibly crazy that I spent the time this morning snatching up ivy and and doing physical stuff, like weed/unwanted volunteer plant pulling on public property. I had the thought that I should have asked them when it would be my turn: a couple of hours of all that free labor coming to  my house to work would really get some of my little projects accomplished in record time. As my mom use to say: Many hands make light work.


No comments:

Post a Comment