Friday, March 29, 2013

it won't happen again...

The title is an oblique reference to something secreted in the blog on Dec. 28 of last year. You'd have to be closely acquainted with the situation here to fully understand, but the gist of it is that on of the greatest benefits to traveling alone is you get to go and come, stop and start on your own personal agenda - not at the whim of someone who didn't really want to go anywhere, and left home and the comforts of recliner and remote control under duress.

We (us two at my house) had a discussion earlier this week about going to Decatur next Sunday. The plan is to get up and attend an early church service, then come home to load up sundry food items/casseroles/desserts and head north. There will be a group there, of people I rarely see but enjoy spending time with, and I am looking forward to having the afternoon to visit and talk, enjoy seeing kids, bouncing babies, eating too much. So the person who likes to be in control, have opinions/instructions obeyed without question -  has been thoroughly cautioned of the risk involved in thinking it is acceptable to 'eat and run'.  Because it is Not Acceptable. And I won't be doing it.

I told him I didn't mind getting a ride to the airport and taking the shuttle that runs between Hartsfield and Columbus twenty times a day. Or I didn't mind taking myself, which means we will drive to Decatur in separate vehicles, though we will be going to the same place at the same time. He just needs to understand that I won't be the riding with the person who thinks it is o.k. to get up from the table and say 'good-by'. My intention is to spend the afternoon, so if he wants to go lay down and take a post-prandial nap, that is perfectly acceptable.

I finally got around to being able to tell him: how thorougly annoyed I was on Christmas  Day in Chattanooga,  when he finished eating and stood up, ready to go home. Someone asked if he was leaving, and he said he needed to start towards Columbus as the weather was going to be bad, if he could get his wife to come along. The man had been warned about that - but I failed to remind him I couldn't agree with that behavior as we walked in the door.

And was so stunned when he made the announcement - I'm still mortified to admit that I got up, said 'thank you, ' and walked out shortly after. I was so completely irritated and taken aback at this turn of events, I think it was several days before I could carry on a conversation with him. I know it was a long, dark, cold trip home without any conversation whatsoever.

He's been warned. You may see me out alongside the interstate highway with my thumb out - but That Won't Be Me leaving Decatur right after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment