Thursday, March 28, 2013

the schedule gets squeezed

I asked my department manager two weeks ago to give me some sort of idea as to what I could expect with working the week before Easter. And he was the epitome of vagueness. He did tell me that I should plan on working the two days after the holiday. But the only thing he would tell me about the week prior to, is that I would not be working on Saturday.

So when I went in on Tuesday, I discovered me! on the schedule for Friday and Saturday before Easter. Which will make for a two nice paychecks with some extra hours on both: but I had not planned to be on the clock for the rest of this week. And had plans to do some bouquets for a little wedding I accidentally agreed to put together and deliver Saturday afternoon for the ceremony at 5 p.m. out in the country, under a gazebo surrounded by brightly blooming azaleas and dogwoods.

I spent the day chasing around, running all over town, going to five different Publix stores and two Winn Dixie floral departments looking for the flowers the bride wants in her bouquets. And hope I have enough to make the bouquets for the bride and five attendants. Plus boutonnieres and corsages for mothers. I'll have to get it all done today, since the rest of my week will be devoted to clocking in and getting paid - probably doing prep. work in the produce department.

And squeeze in the rest of the cooking I was planning. Goodies to take to Decatur on Sunday, for family and friends lunch in the backyard, to the accompaniment of a rooster celebrating Easter while annoying the neighbors. And announcing the fact that no one has slipped out in the dark and rung his sorry little neck. There will always be a carrot cake, and an offering from the hen-house in the form of deviled eggs.

I have a bucket full of lilies and red roses, ready to be put to use. Today will be the day I am really thankful to have an auxiliary refrigerator to store the fresh flowers in until they are needed on Saturday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment