Thursday, March 28, 2013

surprising, unexpected news...

I have been accused of lots of different things in my long interesting life. I have had people point a finger at me and say: "You are  _ _ _ _", or "I saw you _ _ _ _." But -in all these years - I don't think I have ever heard anyone suggest that I might, even remotely, be Normal.

I got a call from the doctor's office in Montgomery yesterday, to tell me that I should just continue to take the Rx I have been on for a couple of months. What the nurse said was that the lab work came back within 'normal' range, so the dosage is correct. There is no need to adjust, tinker with what's going on in my body, fine tune the medications to raise or lower the amount I have been taking each morning.I asked 'does that mean I am normal ?' and the nurse said yes. I laughed heartily, and she did too. I told her I was delighted  to think that  after all these years to be considered Normal. I think she might have come close to falling off her chair with amusement. She is a Very Large person, so I was kinda wishing I could see that.

I told the nurse when I was there on Monday, that though I have been taking this medication for many years, I had only recently discovered that I should be taking it differently: first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with lots of water. Something no one, not doctor or pharmacist, had bothered to tell me over this long time of feeling that it was vital to my health to take the pills daily. And  just  now discovering on the most recently filled Rx bottle that I should not be taking it when I take calcium or iron (both of which I take every day to maintain healthly blood and bones)... so apparently I have been counter-acting the desired effect by years, wasting the price of the Rx, by taking it when it would not be adequately absorbed and used in my body chemistry.

This is something I have been taking for nearly thirty years, when a doctor told me it was needed. And though I cannot recall the dosage over time, I know it has been pretty close to what I am taking now. So - it's possible/likely that I've been Normal for years and didn't even know how close I've been. Sad: does that equal 'average'?  How dull. No fun. I demand a do-over....

No comments:

Post a Comment