Sunday, March 3, 2013

slicing strawberries...

I had to work at Publix on Saturday. It was unlikely - not something I usually do, unless the Saturday is the day before a big holiday. There was a time when I'd be on the schedule, especially in the spring to assist with getting lots of prom orders completed. But have not done that in a couple of years: not sure if there is less demand/fewer people getting all frou-frou'ed up and needing flowers to complete the evening, or managers just constantly looking at the bottom line, pinching pennies, in the form of keeping labor costs down.

But I was on the schedule to work a whopping big four hours. Got myself together and showed up, to find that I was doing a demo.to invite passersby to taste Fresh Florida Strawberries. Cutting the berries in half, putting them in little plastic single-serve cups and offering customers the opportunity to delight their taste buds with juicy sweet ripe strawberries. I'm glad I was not working on commission, as I don't think the taste-test sold that many more boxes of berries, even though they are being advertised in the media, at a good price.

I thought it was going to happen again today as I usually work Sunday afternoons, but spent most of my day making yogurt parfaits instead. They look like they would be really tasty, especially with the fresh fruit and granola sprinkled over. I think we sell a lot to people who run in for lunch - but at $3 each, I think they are so overpriced, I haven't ever purchased/eaten any.

I had a long conversation with the store manager on Thursday, for those of you who read the letter I spent weeks composing. I don't expect anything will come of it: which is not all bad, as I hope I will continue to be employed. But I was so disturbed by receiving a completely unwarranted employee job evaluation back in the fall that I was compelled to write a response to be included in my personnel file. Which I gave to the boss on Thursday, he read, we talked about, and I assume he filed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment