Wednesday, August 1, 2018

where ...

... did it go? The summer is speeding by. Virtually over, in fact, for kids who will start back to school next week. In those early years of education - that point when children are sponges, and will readily absorb anything they are exposed to (good or bad! positive or otherwise!), they can hardly wait for that first day: new clothes, new shoes, new supplies. They give the appearance of having all the time in the world - their entire lives of many decades spread out before them like a vast field of wildflowers. Awaiting their approach, ready to be explored with voracious appetites of the young.

Then you look back and think: Whaaat? Where did it go?? There are some school systems, like the ones in Virginia bound by legislature, required to postpone the first day until Tuesday after Labor Day in early September. Other publicly funded schools begin classes in early August, having built in a number of days for teachers to prepare grades, breaks in the fall and spring, plenteous holidays at semester end. Most of the grade schools in this area are gearing up for students to return next week, various county and private facilities attempting to keep to the same calendar for simplicity of programming and scheduled time off.

I am really thankful that is not me. Then I see people who have put in their many years as educators in the classroom, now enjoying their retirement. Reaping the benefits of twenty or thirty years of wrangling reluctant students, getting a steady income, insurance coverage, without the prospect of facing another year of obdurate children. Making me think: If I had put in my time, when I got that degree/certification years ago, that could be me! Knowing those friends and acquaintances are enjoying the thought of Not going back into the halls of education with the freedom to sleep late, drink a leisurely cuppa, take a walk, read all day, make lunch plans at odd hours, travel on a whim.

But then I realize that is me! Sadly, without that nice retirement package of steady income (that can be enhanced with additional schooling/degrees) and secure health coverage for life. Even so, I do have the time to do all those other things, just have to be willing to schedule it around my little jobette. Which is really remarkably flexible, as I can ask for time off when needed, and enjoy travels. I've been surprised the past couple of days, when I would sleep much later than expected. No need to set an alarm, no urgent business in need of attention, plenty of time to putter around doing laundry, sorting the continuous clutter than accumulates in piles every where. (Demonstrating my philosophy of house work that is basically 'tidy up the clutter into neater piles to make it appear to be organized'.)

There is still yard work to be done, things I planned to accomplish today - until I looked out the window as the frog-strangler rains started. The frequent thunderstorms usually occur later in the day, giving time to dig, weed, prune in the morning hours. But with standing water from the recent downpour, not likely any of that will occur today. Hot summer days, and the green that results from plentiful rainfall will  continue here, giving me ample time to get the work done...  finding the Motivation - that's another story entirely!

No comments:

Post a Comment