Thursday, August 30, 2018

today is...

... my brother's birthday. I have been thinking of him all day. For a number of years, since our dad died in 2000,  I have mailed my brother a gift card to go some place for ice cream on our dad's birthday, to celebrate the man who did love to eat a bowl of made-from-scratch peach or strawberry ice cream when fresh fruit is in season. Several days ago, I sent a gift card to my sister-in-law, and hope she took the peeps some place to sit and lick a big drippy cone and think about their grandpa. He was so crazy about those little people, and took such delight in spending time with his grandkids.

Some years ago, I realized that when your mom is gone, there is no guarantee that there is anybody  who will remember or help you celebrate that day. I wrote him a card to let him know that I did, and would remember. Now I am remembering the card he sent me some years ago that had a picture of a dill pickle on the front. On the inside the wording was something like: 'bet you never expected to get a pickle for your birthday, didja?'


No comments:

Post a Comment