Friday, August 3, 2018

drivin' in the rain...

...makes me think of a line in a country song about 'cryin' in the rain', but that was not me being weepy when I made a quick trip to Decatur overnight.  My wipers slapped back and forth the entire drive to Atlanta. No mishaps, but more time consuming than normal due to steady rain and slower speeds.

My cuzzin' has had grandchildren visiting for about a month, entertaining little guys who are just a busy as  you would expect a four and a seven year old to be. Moving from one activity to the next with lightening speed, much too fast for the adults to keep up. I often share my theory of the necessity for two adults per child issued for every household, a necessity for adults to maintain sanity, as well as stay ahead of the demands of feeding and laundry of small animals. I discovered this on the day I brought home child #2: it is exhausting work, being a mom. Or grandmother or caregiver to little people.

This guys have a remarkable history: Parents have lived in Moscow in Russia, Beijing in China, and Delhi in India.  Recently relocated to Singapore in the Pacific. He is a news reporter'/journalist and their mom is a writer, has published a couple of books. The family, flying in and out, has been using Decatur as a home base for several weeks, returning to Singapore next week.

Those little guys are really smart. The older one sat and read me a book of riddles, when I asked him to show me how well he reads. My job was to act dumb, and his job was to prove how easily a seven year old can outwit an adult. Reminding me of that television show based on the query: Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? The riddles were all related to farm yard inhabitants, suitable for small children, so nothing off color. Some of the humor, a play on words, subtle puns might have been too advanced for the average second grader, but he was well above that. I am guessing the first time he read the book, someone assisted him in deciphering the meaning of the jokes he could not find humorous. There was great hilarity when I was continually stumped by the questions.  Out of about thirty riddles, I might have gotten five, as I proceeded to give the appearance of being exceptionally simple-minded.

The boys had been with their dad to a museum, and came home with 'art work' things they had drawn, colored. The younger was showing his illustration of a person. Demonstrating remarkable observation skills and insight for someone his age. Most four-year-olds do not have the discernment to add all the body parts this guy drew - it was obviously the work of a young child, but one who has much awareness of himself and others: legs, arms, hands, feet, fingers, toes, all the components of a human face and head.

I was there for a couple of hours, planning to leave before the family started the process of winding down for the day. I remember the parts of child raising where they get tired and cranky as the day progresses, demanding and insistent. Unhappy with the food they are offered, or unwilling to get in the bath, brush teeth, apply nightwear - so tired from their busy-ness they don't have control and tend to fall apart as the day comes to a close. I deliberately avoided that part, left before the witching hour. And will enjoy remembering the time I spent with bouncy, happy, enthusiastic little people, intensely interested in their world.

It also rained on me almost all the way back home this morning. Making the trip a bit more time consuming that is normally the case, due to cautious reduction in speed. I was certainly happy to be headed south, when I observed a complicated multi-vehicle wreck on the northbound lanes near the Atlanta stadium. Traffic was backed up for miles and miles with thousands of commuters fuming, knowing they would be late for work headed into the downtown metro area.  Other than slippery wet roads, an uneventful trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment