Sunday, August 26, 2018

looking for...

...a chair, spending hours on Friday visiting all the thrift stores in town hoping to find a light-weight folding chair I can use with the Auntie. She has lost the ability to walk, or more likely just hyper-anxious about the possibility of falling and serious injury, which is always a concern as we age. It reality it appears we loose independence in increments, which should make it easier to 'accept the things we cannot change'.

The last time I was with her, with several appointments in various medical offices, plus lunch and a little time to waste in between, I think I wrangled the heavy awkward wheel chair she needed in and out of my car a minimum of six times. Fortunately one of the offices had rolling chairs on hand, so it was just a matter of transferring. Getting those big weighty metal devices in the back seat and out again for moving her from the car to the waiting room got more and more challenging as the day progressed. The miserable temperature of south Georgia in August added to the aggravating experience.

Even though it will be a couple of weeks before there are more appointments on my calendar, I know I need to be industriously searching for a chair that will make the experience easier. I went to four stores on Friday, and left my name and number at two of them, hoping they will let me know when they get one donated that is serviceable. Transport does the same thing a big awkward wheel chair does, but the wheels are much smaller - and all the same size. The difference is in the weight and ease of folding/lifting to get the chair into the car, after the person being moved is situated. Wheels are about the size of what you would see on a child's red wagon, rubber tires, maybe ten inches in diameter. Just  whole lot less weight and much easier to transport the Transport Chair!

No comments:

Post a Comment