Wednesday, January 17, 2018

snow day here...

... pretty unusual for middle Georgia. I received a call, telling me 'don't come to work.'  Which has never ever happened before. Sun is out, so the white stuff will likely melt in the course of the day. There has been enough traffic on the streets, that I don't think they are icy, (though looking out the window, it is obvious they are not at their usual over-the-limit speed) but if it stays below freezing, it will be a problem tomorrow.

It is ironic that I got the call to stay at home: I had earlier been pondering the idea of calling in and telling them I would not be there - even though I have never in all these years missed work due to illness. As a part-time person, I do not qualify for sick-leave days, and therefore have no time off accumulated. Which works out well, as I am not in poor health. (Having completely recovered from the dangerous dairy product story!)

I have on the rare occasion reported that I could not get there: once due to a hurricane. The family was on a cruise in the Caribbean, and the ship could not dock due to high winds. The boat would have to travel under a bridge for passengers to disembark, and we could not do that until the Coast Guard inspected for safety and gave the OK. Which gave us an unexpected day of cruising, and caused me to have to call and say: I cannot get to work.

Recently, I was out of town, going to visit family in VA., and had a problem with return flights. Delayed due to weather, and missed connections causing me to be on the job according to work schedule.  Which I consider circumstances beyond my control, even though I did not inquire of my boss if that was a legitimate excuse. Not being able to get to the workplace seems acceptable to me...

Snow is pretty rare here, but since we are living in the end times, anything can happen.... dramatic climate change: floods, droughts, mudslides, extreme heat and excruciating cold. Men being called out for behaving badly and getting their just desserts/consequences, zombies, solar flares affecting energy/electronics and communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment