Monday, January 1, 2018

back to work...

... was a sort of test, to determine whether my hand is really ready to return to being employed. Even though the schedule has had me on the job one day a week, it really has not be the type work I have been doing before the arm got broke and I became disabled.  After the injury and long dull recovery, these intervening weeks since mid-October have consisted of standing around, looking smiley, offering samples to passersby. Thankful for the continued employment, even though the assignment was profoundly tedious.

I put in a two days last week, while my co-worker used up the last of his vacation days before the year came to a wobbly end. Doing the clean up and fluffing after Christmas, putting weary bedraggled poinsettias in the trash, getting rid of all signs of holiday/seasonal decorations. Then starting afresh, prepping and putting out new bouquets of cut flowers, beautifully blooming orchids and other plants shipped from the warehouse.

I am still trying to be careful and cautious with my newly reinforced parts. Wary of re-injury, not doing any of that 'pushing, pulling, lifting' the doctor's instructions cautioned about. While diligently doing the flexibility and strengthening exercises my rehab. encourages to regain full use and mobility. After those days following Christmas when I volunteered myself to tend to the floral area, I decided I might possibly be ready to get back in the groove.

Sunday was the test. I think I did pretty well. There were a couple of things I needed help with, that I just did  not have the hand strength/grip to accomplish: opening a jar of green stuffed olives for salad. Otherwise mostly able to do everything necessary to return to full employment, even though it is only part time. I don't pick up heavy boxes, so there will continue to be some limitations. Otherwise I think I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment