Friday, January 19, 2018

mostly uneventful, except...

... for the part where it looked like the Walmart semi tractor-trailer tried to run over the little compact car. Or perhaps the little grey car tried to drive under the trailer? Causing traffic to back up for about ten miles, coming to complete standstill for a while before inching along at 3 mph. Which is about what you know to expect when you get within a fifty mile radius of the metro: but this was 'way off, out in the middle of no-where, just tooling along on the interstate with the cruise control set on 72.

Otherwise a pleasant trip to SC and back. I brought back a bad case of misplaced optimism, when I expected to find cheap gas in Carolina. It is usually fifteen cents cheaper than anything in GA - I don't know why - maybe something to do with taxes the legislature imposes? And even higher in FL, but those people farther south do not have any sales tax on groceries. With the choices of walking a hundred miles or buying a tank of gas at $2.29/gal. I judiciously decided I would save time.

One of the reasons to go to SC today was to see an exhibit of paintings in Greenville. It was in a children's museum, done by Jan Brett, who writes and illustrates children's books. I learned about this show from the sweet smart cousin who teaches education at a college in SC. When I saw the little postcard she had advertising the exhibit, I knew I wanted to get there to see the collection. Due to my desire to get on the road, I did not spend as much time as I would have liked looking at her beautiful watercolors. She has published a number of books, always dressing up animals in clothing: polar bears, chickens, various wildlife as well as domesticated animals.

The illustrations are stunning, with an amazing amount of detail in each picture, which ends up as a page in her books. In reading about her body of work, I discovered she is so painstaking and meticulous that each of her books takes about a year to complete. She travels all over the world doing research on animal behavior and studying various periods and styles of clothing. Gorgeous paintings, done in watercolor and gouache, every one of which was either a cover for a book or masterfully illustrated page in one of her books

No comments:

Post a Comment